Click on the linked agenda item titles below for background materials/reports. Adopted Resolutions and Ordinances (second reading) are available via Records Online (http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/ContentDisplay.aspx?id=4222) as soon as they are finalized.
*To read PDF files, download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you are unable to access .pdf documents online, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), telephone (510) 981-6900, or TDD (510) 981-6903 so that we can provide an alternate format.
BERKELEY CITY COUNCIL SPECIAL MEETING
Tuesday, February 14, 2006
Council Chambers, 2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Teleconference Location – 1636 Channing Way, Berkeley, CA
Roll Call: 7:02 p.m. All present.
Ceremonial Matters: None.
City Manager Comments: None
Public Comment: Three speakers.
1. Landmarks Preservation Ordinance
a. From: Mayor Bates (PDF, 46 KB) (February 14, 2006)
Recommendation: Conduct a public hearing to allow for citizen input regarding the Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
Contact: Tom Bates, Mayor, 981-7100
Contact: Tom Bates, Mayor, 981-7100
c. Revised Landmarks Preservation Ordinance (PDF, 14 MB) (July 12, 2005)
From: City Manager
Recommendation: Adopt first reading of one of two ordinances, or a variant thereof, as recommended by either the Planning Commission or Landmarks Preservation Commission to repeal and reenact BMC Chapter 3.24 (Landmarks Preservation), amend BMC sections 23.B24.030, 23B.32.050 and 23C.08.050 and repeal Chapter 19.20; or, alternatively, provide direction to staff to prepare an alternative ordinance to bring back to Council.
Financial Implications: Staff time.
Contact: Dan Marks, Planning, 981-7400
d. Communications (February 14, 2006)
e. Communications (February 7, 2006 – Numbering follows original sequence)
f. Supplemental Reports and Communications #1 (PDF, 389 KB) (February 7, 2006 – Numbering follows original sequence)
18. Sharon Hudson
19. Micheal Katz
20. Dean Metzger, Claremont Elmwood Neighborhood Association
21. Daniella Thompson, Northside Neighborhood Association
22. Robin Wright
g. Supplemental Reports and Communications #2 (February 7, 2006 – Numbering follows original sequence)
h. Communications (January 17, 2006 – Numbering follows original sequence)
Public Testimony: The Mayor opened the public hearing. 46 speakers. Moved, seconded, carried (Maio/Anderson; Noes – Olds, Worthington; Abstain – Moore, Spring) to close the public hearing.
Action: Held over to February 21, 2006 by Mayor Bates for further Council discussion.
Council rules limit action on Communications to referral to the City Manager and/or Boards and Commissions for investigation and/or recommendations. All communications submitted to Council are public record.
Item 1: Landmarks Preservation Ordinance ~ Supplement 1 File (PDF, 3 MB)
1. J. Michael Edwards, McGee-Spaulding-Hardy Historical Interest Group
2. Sharon Hudson (10)
3. Wendy Alfsen, McKinley Addison Allston Grant Neighborhood Association
4. Robin Wright and Amnuay Amuaydejkorn
5. Stephen Wollmer
6. Joan V. Barnett, Dwight/Hillside Neighborhood Association
Item 1: Landmarks Preservation Ordinance ~ Supplement 2 File (PDF, 2 MB)
7. Carl Friberg
8. Wendy Markel, The Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association
9. Wendy Markel
10. Jerry Wachtel, Panoramic Hill Association
11. Laurie Bright, Council of Neighborhood Associations
12. Shirley Dean
13. George Beier, Willard Neighborhood Association
14. Peter Schorer
15. John Curl, Mary Lou Vanderventer, Laurie Bright and Rick Auabach, West Berkeley Artisans and Industrial Companies Association
16. Danielle Thompson
17. West Berkeley Business Alliance
18. Jennifer L. Hernandez, Holland and Knight LLP
19. Kristin Leimkuhler
20. Marie Bowman, BANA
Adjourned at 10:47 p.m.