JAMES KENNEY PARK
James Kenney Park Renovation Project Update: The most recent neighborhood meeting was held on Tuesday, October 11, 2016, at 6:30pm to present updated conceptual plans for the planned park improvements. The City is inviting the public to review the concept designs and provide constructive feedback by November 23, 2016.
Siding Replacement and Seismic Improvements of the Community Center are anticipated to be completed in July 2017. Renovation of the children’s play area and picnic area is currently in design, with construction anticipated to start in FY2018. Renovation of the basketball and tennis courts area is currently in planning and design, with construction anticipated for FY2019.
Location 1720 Eighth Street between Delaware and Virginia Streets - Northwest Berkeley
(You can click the thumbnail photo to see the full size picture)
Map of Parks
James Kenney Park offers a variety of recreational opportunities, including ball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, and a gym, as well as tot and school-age play areas.
Basketball (2 1/2 courts)
Lighted tennis courts (2); practice wall available
Tot play area featuring swings, climber, slide, accessible surfacing
School-age play area featuring horizontal ladder, slide
Picnic area with BBQ
The gym, rooms in the recreation center, tennis courts, and field are available for reservation or rental. For reservations and further information, please call the City Recreation Office at 510-981-5150, or click here.
The land for James Kenney Park was purchased by the City of Berkeley in 1917 for $8,000, and supplemented by a lot the City already owned. The park was named after Berkeley’s first fire chief, who was appointed in 1904 and served until his death in 1916. The park consisted of open space until 1976, when the recreation center, tennis courts, ball field, and play areas were developed. In 1977, the community approved plans to renovate the park areas and to install a picnic facility. These improvements were funded by Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF), Roberti-Z’berg funds, and Measure Y monies from a bond measure passed in 1974 to fund additional park development to meet the recreational needs of Berkeley’s citizens. Park users celebrated completion of these improvements at an open house held March 31, 1979. In 1983–1984, additional renovations of the park were undertaken with monies from an Urban Park and Recreation Recovery (UPARR) rehabilitation grant.
Restroom Available in Recreation Center (until 10 p.m. when baseball is played)
No Off-Street Parking
4.24 acres 184,700 sq. ft.
Partially wheelchair accessible; tot play area is accessible, but school-age area is not.
6 a.m. to 10 p.m. unless otherwise posted
For questions on park maintenance, contact:
Mobile Unit 3: Landscape Gardener Supervisor, Matt Shogren, MShogren@ci.berkeley.ca.us
List of City Parks | Map of City Parks