(Berkeley United In Literacy Development)
What is BUILD Summer Reading?
A partnership committed to ensuring that every student in Berkeley has ample opportunities to read, develop their literacy skills, and start school in the fall, ready to learn new things!
Research shows that students who DO NOT read or engage in enriching activities over the summer can lose up to 2.6 months of learning from the previous school year. That means that they start school already behind their peers.
That is not OK for Berkeley’s kids. We want every child to have an enriching summer full of recreation, arts and BOOKS!
Who are the kids in BUILD Summer Reading?
560 Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade students primarily from South and West Berkeley, participating in the following summer programs:
- Francis Albrier Recreation Center
- James Kenny Recreation Center
- The Young Adult Project
- Centro Vida Preschool and Bahia School Age programs
- Berkeley Youth Alternatives (BYA)
- RISE – for eighth graders entering Berkeley High School
Who are the partners?
- Mayor Tom Bates
- Berkeley Alliance – John Martin
- UC Berkeley Cal Corps Public Service Center – Megan Voorhees & Jose Ramirez
- UC Berkeley Graduate School of Education – Dean David Pearson (not present)
- Berkeley Public Library – Linda Perkins & Jackie Griffin
- Berkeley Recreation Programs – Madalyn Law, Bertha Brown, Phil Harper-Cotton
- BAHIA – Beatriz Leyva-Cutler & Marta Cuevas
- RISE – Adriana Betti
- Berkeley Youth Alternatives – Nikki Williams & Marva Lyons
Who made it possible?
- UC Berkeley Cal Corps America Reads Tutors – 30 tutors, trained by BUSD literacy specialists – leveraging $55,000 in federal work study funding
- SBC with it initial contribution of $10,000
- Wells Fargo with its match of $10,000 ($6,000 summer reading & $4,000 other youth programs)
- Scholastic Literacy Partners–making low cost books available