- How can I correct a misspelling of a name on a birth/death certificate?
It is possible to correct a name misspelled on a birth/death certificate. You just need to send the following documents to the California Department of Public Health along with the appropriate fee:
- Form VS24 (no erasures, whiteouts, photocopies or alterarions of this form are allowed)
- Application Form with a notarized sworn statement (if you wish to receive a copy of the amended record)
- If you are correcting a misspelling on the parent's name or an error on parent's date of birth, you MUST include a photocopy of the parent's birth certificate.
- If you are correcting a error from the hospital, please attached documentation from the hospital.
- Fee to process the request:
- Within one year of the birth:
- There is no fee to amend a record, but you do not get a copy of the amended record.
- $14.00 fee is required if you wish to get a copy of the amended record.
- If the birth occurred more than one year ago:
- $20.00 fee, which includes one Certified Copy of the Amended Record.
- Aditional copies are $14.00 each.
California Department of Public Health
Office of Vital Records - MS 5103
Sacramento, CA 95899-7410
You must send a Check or Money Order payable to OFFICE OF VITAL RECORDS. Do not mail cash or other types of payment, as the State will be unable to accept them.
Have more questions about Amending a Record? Please click here
and download the complete manual prepared by the state.