- How can I correct a misspelling of a name on a birth/death certificate?
It is possible to correct a name misspelled on a birth/death certificate. You just need to send the following documents to the California Department of Public Health along with the appropriate fee:
- Form VS24 (no erasures, whiteouts, photocopies or alterarions of this form are allowed)
- Application Form (VS-111) with a notarized sworn statement (if you wish to receive a copy of the amended record)
- If you are correcting a misspelling on the parent's name or an error on parent's date of birth, you MUST include a photocopy of the parent's birth certificate.
- If you are correcting a error from the hospital, please attached documentation from the hospital.
- Fee to process the request:
- Within one year of the birth:
- There is no fee to amend a record, but you do not get a copy of the amended record.
- A fee is required if you wish to get a copy of the amended record. Click here to check how much is the current fee.
- If the birth occurred more than one year ago:
- A fee will apply, which includes one Certified Copy of the Amended Record.
- The fee for additional copies are the same as if you were applying for a birth certificate directly through the State Registrar.
- Where should I send the documentation to?
California Department of Public Health
Office of Vital Records - MS 5103
Sacramento, CA 95899-7410
You must send a Check or Money Order payable to OFFICE OF VITAL RECORDS. Do not mail cash or other types of payment, as the State will be unable to accept them.
- Have more questions about Amending a Record? Please click here and download the complete manual prepared by the state.