Translation Disclaimer

Office of Vital Statistics
Office of Vital Statistics

Permit for Disposition of Human Remains


Although we highly recommend that you use the services of the Funeral Home that handled the Funeral Arrangements, you may also do this process yourself.

Filling an Application and Permit for Disposition of Human Remains is an easy process and could be done by any decedent's relative, friend or acquaintance acting in lieu of the Funeral Diretor.    

In order to apply for a Disposition Permit you need to come to our office during business hours and request to file a Disposition Permit.  You must show your ID and provide some of the decedent's information such as complete name, date of birth, date of death, sex, city of death, county of death, name and address of the informant who provide the information for the Funeral Home or Hospital who created the Certificate of Death.

There is a $12.00 fee to file the Permit and usually is done in minutes.

You may also fill out the form yourself and bring to our office in order to have stamped and signed by our Health Officer.   The form is available in electronic version by clicking here.

For instructions on how to fill out correctly your Disposition Permit Form, please click here.





Disposition Permit Application Form



Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Office of Vital Statistics, 1947 Center Street 2nd.Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-5320
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903