Notice of Privacy Practices for Protected Health Information (HIPAA)
Effective Date: April 14, 2003
City of Berkeley Public Health Division
1947 Center Street, Second Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Map to Public Health Division
510-981-5300 (Phone) 510-981-5395 (Fax) 510-981-6903 (TDD)
Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Who Will Follow This Notice
This notice describes the practices of the City of Berkeley’s Public Health Division services and that of:
- Any health care professional authorized to provide treatment and to enter information into your health record.
- All teams and services of Public Health.
- Any volunteer or student who provides services to you.
- All employees, contract staff and other health personnel.
All Public Health Services’ providers, teams and programs follow the terms of this notice. In addition, these providers, teams and clinics may share health information with each other for treatment, payment or medical operations purposes described in this notice.
Example of uses of your health information for treatment purposes:
- Nurses, doctors, or other clinic staff may record your health information, and they may share such information with other City staff.
- Public Health may disclose health information to people outside Public Health involved in your care who provide follow-up care and/or health treatment and related services.
- Public Health may use and disclose health information to contact you to remind you about appointments for treatment or health care-related services.
- In emergencies, Public Health may use or disclose health information to provide you with treatment. Public Health will use its best efforts to obtain your permission to use or disclose your health information as soon as reasonably practical.
Example of use of your health information for payment purposes:
We submit requests for payment to your health insurance company, the state or other third parties. The health insurance company, the state or business associate helping us obtain payment requests information from us regarding the medical care provided to you. We will provide information to them about you and the care given.
Example of Use of Your Information for Health Care Operations:
We may obtain services from other agencies and organizations such as quality assessment, quality improvement, outcome evaluation, protocol and clinical guidelines development, training programs, credentialing, medical review, legal services, auditing financial data and insurance. We will share information about you with such outside entities or business associates as necessary and according to state and federal laws to obtain these services.
Back to HIPAA Notice Main Page