Get informed! Find out about what the Affordable Care Act (ACA) offers. The ACA, also known as Health Care Reform or Obamacare, means more people will have access to affordable health insurance. In addition, all new health plans are being required to provide preventive services like mammograms and immunizations without charging a deductible, co-pay or coinsurance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is Health Insurance Important?
- Health insurance makes it easier for you to get health care when you need it.
- You don't need to worry about paying high health care bills.
- Children with no health coverage are more likely than insured children to go without health care services that they need, even when they have serious conditions.
- Children who are immunized and receive wellness check-ups do better in school.
- Visits to the Emergency Department are reduced.
Key facts you should know about getting health coverage through the Affordable Care Act
- If you are low-income, you may qualify for expanded Medi-Cal coverage and not have co-payments or monthly premiums.
- More people will qualify for Medi-Cal through the Medi-Cal expansion, including single adults without children.
- If you are not low-income, you may still qualify for financial help from the government to buy health insurance and you should expect to pay at least part of your healthcare coverage. Use Covered California's online calculator to calculate your cost.
- You and/or your family members cannot be denied coverage due to an pre-existing conditions.
Get Information About Discontinued Health Care Policies
Some health plans don’t meet the minimum benefits of the Affordable Care Act. For more information visit Covered California or call their hotline, at (855) 857-0445, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m
The open enrollment period started November 15, 2014 and concludes on 2/15/15.
You may be eligible for special enrollment. If you experience a qualifying life event, such as a marriage, birth of a child, or loss of employer-sponsored health coverage, you may sign up for coverage within 60 days of the event in a special enrollment.
Enroll in the plan of your choice over the phone through Covered California at 1-888-975-1142 or online at www.coveredca.com.
Enrollment Application Assistance
Certified Enrollment Counselors can assist community members who have questions about the enrollment application or need help with the process. Contact:
Please be able to provide the following documents to complete your application:
- Proof of California residency
- Proof of Income (such as: tax return or recent check stubs)
- Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of Citizenship (such as: birth certificate; certificate of naturalization; US passport)
- Other documents: Work authorization permit
Important Numbers and Websites for Health Care Reform Information