Mental Health Division
Mental Health Division

Problem Resolution Information for Consumers

Berkeley Mental Health Services desires to support you in your mental health recovery. We would like to help resolve any problems you may encounter receiving Berkeley Mental Health Services. If you have a problem, you may want to try handling the problem directly with the person. However, if that is not possible, we have six (6) different ways you can use to resolve your complaint. Making a complaint will not adversely affect your services at Berkeley Mental Health.

  1. Call the Berkeley Mental Health Consumer Complaint Line at (510) 981-6585 English X5097, Spanish x5098.
  2. Complete a Berkeley Mental Health Consumer Complaint Form. Forms are located in the Waiting Room at the clinics at 2640 Martin Luther King, Jr. Way and at 3282 Adeline St. or they can click here and use our online grievance form (or click here for the grievance form in Spanish). Forms can be printed, filled out, and mailed. Completed forms can be sealed in an envelope and returned to staff at the clinic or mailed directly to:

    Mental Health Administration
    2180 Milvia Street., 2nd Floor
    Berkeley, CA 94704
  3. The Alameda County Consumer Assistance Office – Call the Alameda County Consumer Assistance Office at (510) 567-8137 or fax (510) 567-8130 to ask for information, help or to file a complaint.
  4. The Patients’ Rights Advocate – At any time you may ask for help and information from the Patients’ Rights Advocate Office. If your problem has to do with a lack of your Title IX patients’ rights or to help you to know if it is a patients’ rights matter, call the Patients’ Rights Advocate at 1(800) 734-2504.
  5. Appeal a Notice of Action or Complaint Resolution – You may appeal if you receive a Notice of Action letter saying that you will not receive services or your services will be reduced or stopped. You may also appeal if you feel that your complaint filed with the Berkeley Complaint Line or the Alameda County Consumer Assistance Office was not resolved to your satisfaction. Call the Consumer Complaint Line in Berkeley at (510) 981-6585 x5097 or the Alameda County Consumer Assistance office at (510) 567-8137 to ask for an appeal.
  6. State Fair Hearing – At any time, you may request a State Fair Hearing regarding a problem or if you are sent a Notice of Action (NOA) letter. To ask for a hearing fill out the Request for State Fair Hearing form on the back of the NOA or call: 1 (800) 743-8525.

(revision: Oct, 2011)

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Mental Health Division, 2640 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-5290
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903