Mercy Brown Bag Program
The Mercy Brown Bag Program, sponsored by the Mercy Retirement and Care Center, distributes a grocery bag of nutritional food to low-income seniors twice a month. Normally bags consist of ten to fifteen items per bag including: bread, pasta, fresh produce, assorted canned foods, and other items depending on availability.
Who is eligible?
- Seniors 60 years old or older
- Must have a monthly income of under $1354 for one person and under $2,192 for two people or more.
- Only one membership per household
- Volunteers are invited to help regardless of income and usually receive a bag
How do I register?
Contact the South Berkeley Senior Center or the North Berkeley Senior Center. If there are openings, you will need to provide:
- A driver's license or state ID card with your birth date and current address
- All sources of income for all household members: SSI, Social Security, Pension, etc.
Registration must be completed before brown bags are issued.
Is there a cost?
A voluntary contribution of $10 per year is requested. Anyone unable to contribute will not be turned away.
When and Where
First & Third Fridays (of each month)
11:00 AM to 2:00 PM
All bags must be picked up by 2:00 PM
South Berkeley Senior Center
2939 Ellis Street (at Ashby Ave.)
Berkeley, CA 94703
North Berkeley Senior Center
1901 Hearst Ave. (at MLK Jr Way)
Berkeley, CA 94709
If you're interested in volunteering or are in need of program information, please call (510) 981-5170.