Mercy Brown Bag Program
The Mercy Brown Bag Program, sponsored by the Mercy Retirement and Care Center, distributes a grocery bag of nutritional food to low-income seniors twice a month. Normally bags consist of ten to fifteen items per bag including: bread, pasta, fresh produce, assorted canned foods, and other items depending on availability.
ANNUAL BROWN BAG PROGRAM REGISTRATION
Friday, January 15, 2016
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Annual registration is REQUIRED for both NEW and EXISTING program participants. Please review eligibility requirements below.
Must apply in person. Both the South Berkeley and North Berkeley Senior Centers will accept and process program applications.
Who is eligible?
- Seniors 60 years old or older
- Must be a resident of Alameda County
- Must have a monthly income of under $1471 for one person, under $1991 for two people, and under $3211 for three or more.
- Only one membership per household
- Volunteers are invited to help regardless of income and usually receive a bag
How do I register?
Contact the South Berkeley Senior Center or the North Berkeley Senior Center. If there are openings, you will need to provide:
- A driver's license or state ID card with your birth date and current address
- All sources of income for all household members: SSI, Social Security, Pension, etc.
Registration must be completed before brown bags are issued.
Is there a cost?
A voluntary contribution of $10 per year is requested. Anyone unable to contribute will not be turned away.
When and Where
First & Third Fridays (of each month)
12:00 to 2:00 PM
All bags must be picked up by 2:00 PM
South Berkeley Senior Center
2939 Ellis Street (at Ashby Ave.)
Berkeley, CA 94703
North Berkeley Senior Center
1901 Hearst Ave. (at MLK Jr Way)
Berkeley, CA 94709
If you're interested in volunteering or are in need of program information, please call (510) 981-5170.