Berkeley Fire Department Recruitment Homepage
Berkeley Fire Department Recruitment Homepage

Paramedic Requirement, EMS Education & Out-of-State Paramedic Information:

Emergency Medical Service (Paramedic License) education is quite extensive and can take upwards of 2-3 years for an interested party to complete. The California EMS Authority which explains the process of becoming a paramedic in more detail.

The education process for becoming a paramedic consists of 3 basic steps:

  1. CPR/1st Aid
  2. Emergency Medical Technician - Click for organizations who offer this course. 
  3. Paramedic School - Click for a list of accredited programs in California 

To work as a Paramedic in Alameda County, you must also maintain:

  1. Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)  
  2. Pediatric Advances Life Support (PALS or PEPP)
  3. Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS or ITLS)
  4. BLS Healthcare Provider (CPR)

Are you an accredited paramedic from a State other than California?

  1. Individuals who possess a current paramedic certificate/license from another state, territory, or country, or from the National Registry of EMTs, are eligible for paramedic licensure in California when they submit documented proof of successful completion of the training required in California for paramedics, successfully pass the National Registry written and skills exam, and complete all license requirements. If an individual does not have the minimum number of training hours required by California, then enrollment in a paramedic training program may be required to obtain the additional hours.
  2. Click here to link to a .pdf file that will walk you through the entire process of becoming a paramedic in California if you have a valid license from outside the State. You should also download this document if you are an RN, MICN, PA or MD and want to challenge the paramedic license process in California. If the above link is dead, this information can be found at the website:

Have you been overseas involved in Operation Iraqi Freedom during which time your EMT-I or EMT-II certification or EMT-Paramedic license has expired.  What can you do?

  • For those individuals whose certificates expired during the time they were on active duty, or less than six (6) months after their return, an extension of their certificate may be given for up to six months from the time they returned from active duty.  Verification of the individual’s active duty is required.  Also, certified individuals whose military duty required them to use their EMT-I, EMT-II or EMT-P (Paramedic) skills, credit may be given for documented training they received while on duty for Operation Iraqi Freedom.  These individuals would need to provide documentation from their Commanding Officer(s) attesting to classes attended and successful completion.  For more information, please contact Laura Little at (916) 322-4336 or email

In addition to becoming a paramedic, you can also take classes that focus on firefighting. Many Junior Colleges/Community Colleges offer 2-year AA/AS Degrees in Fire Technology and/or Fire Science.

Applicants are encouraged to visit a local firehouse and speak with others who have navigated the process for valuable tips and recommendations on process, preparation and sequence when researching this endeavor. Click here for Berkeley Fire Stations contact information.

Recruitment Quick Links

 Application Process

 Testing Process

 Department Selection Process

 Pre-Employment Medical Exam

 How To Prepare

 Career Overview

Fire Bottom Banner

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Berkeley Fire Department Recruitment Homepage, 2100 Martin Luther King, Jr. Way, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-3473
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903