- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. certificate
- Valid California Driver's License at time of appointment
- California EMT-Paramedic License, ACLS Certificate, PALS or PEPP and PHTLS or ITLS (a.k.a. BTLS)
- Minimal uncorrected vision of 20/100 in each eye - both corrected to 20/30 normal color vision
- Weight proportional to height
NOTE: Applicants who active in Paramedic Field Internship by the final filing date of this recruitment will be accepted and placed on an eligibility list. In lieu of certificates, proof of registration for enrollment or current enrollment must be submitted with the application.
Additional components to the examination process may be added, depending on the needs of the Department.
- Candidates considered for appointment will be required to undergo an extensive background investigation and successfully complete a thorough medical examination, and pre-employment drug screening (may also include a pre-employment psychological exam).
- Continued employment as a Firefighter-Paramedic is contingent on successful completion of the Alameda County accreditation process.
- Firefighter-Paramedics appointed will be required to live not more than 40 air miles from Berkeley City limits.