Fire Season Safety Tips
Creating a Defensible Space this Fire Season
A defensible space breaks up the continuous path of plants that could carry wildfire to your home. And it gives firefighters a safe zone from which to fight a wildfire. It’s worth your effort. If you should have any questions, please contact our Fire Prevention division at (510) 981-5585. Below is a list of items that you can do to make your home fire safe this season.
- Remove all flammable vegetation including dead branches and debris around all structures.
- Trim trees so branches are six feet from the ground and 10 feet from your chimney. Remove branches overhanging your roof.
- Ensure your rain gutters and roofs are clear of combustible dead vegetation.
- Remove any dead trees.
- Cut weeds and dead grasses six inches or shorter.
- Ask your local nursery about landscaping with beautiful, fire-resistant plants.
- Maintain defensible space by cleaning up plant litter and watering properly.