Subscribe to this page to receive e-mail notification when new information is posted.
Please Note: All vehicles must be registered to a valid residential address within the City of Berkeley in order to receive the Residential Preferential Parking (RPP). Also, please be aware that RPPs are not transferable between vehicles, nor are they refundable.
Please remember the Customer Service Counter located at 1947 Center St, is open Monday through Thursday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Please contact the City via email (customerservice@CityofBerkeley.info) or by telephone (510-981-CITY or "311" from any landline within Berkeley), Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., if you have questions.
Residential Preferential Parking (RPP) Program
There are 14 Residential Preferential Parking (RPP) areas in the City of Berkeley. These RPP areas are limited to two (2) hour parking unless an annual permit or a visitor permit is properly displayed on/in the vehicle. Annual permits are to be affixed to the left rear bumper of the vehicle and visitor permits must be displayed on the left hand side of the driver's dashboard.
These neighborhood Residential Preferential Parking areas are enforced Monday through Friday and some streets in area E are enforced n Saturdays. Areas A, B, D, and K are enforced on Saturdays. If you see signs in your neighborhood displaying any letter of A to N, you live in a Residential Preferential Parking area and will need a residential parking permit to park longer than two hours on the street. These zones are marked by signs that indicate the neighborhood parking permit areas by letter and indicate the days and times enforced.
These zones are marked by signs that indicate the neighborhood parking permit areas by letter and indicate the days and times enforced. Vehicles without a Residential Preferential Parking permit or visitor permit may park for a total of two (2) hours per block face, defined as both sides of the street between intersecting cross streets.
There are two types of RPP, "Permanent" and "Visitor." For more information about eligibility and registration for an RPP, contact the Customer Service Center at (510) 981-7200.
Residential Preferential Parking does not allow parking at parking meters, pay stations, loading zones, no parking anytime, 72hr parking, on Street Sweeping days or any other parking restrictions (i.e. at or near fire hydrants, driveways, or crosswalks, etc.). Some RPP may have limited 2 hour parking within the RPP zone and signs indicating this restriction are posted without the designated RPP area letter designation. RPP permitted vehicles are subject to the two hour restriction and will be cited if the vehicle is not moved.
Please note: Residential Preferential Parking (RPP) has been modified on selected blocks near Berkeley's Trader Joe's store at Berkeley Way/Martin Luther King Jr. Way to limit parking on one side of the street to designated RPP Area permit holders, while parking on the other side remains RPP and 2-hour visitor parking.
The blocks affected are as follows:
- Berkeley Way: 1700, 1800 and 1900 blocks (McGee Avenue to Milvia Street)
- Addison Street: 1800 block (Grant Street to Martin Luther King Jr. Way)
- Bonita Street: 1900 block (Hearst Avenue to University Avenue)
- Grant Street: 1900 and 2000 blocks (Hearst Avenue to Addison Street)
Information about parking permits, locations and restrictions:
Links to additional information:
Annual Parking Permit Year
The annual parking permit year is from July 1st to June 30th.
Parking Permit Fees
- Annual Residential Preferential Parking: $45.00
- 1-Day Visitor Permit: $2.25
- 14-Day Visitor Permit: $23.00
- Annual Merchant Permit: $125.00
- Annual In-Home Care Permit: $45.00
- Annual Community Serving Facility Permit: $56.00
- North Berkeley Senior Center Permit: $1
Annual Renewal Deadline & Enforcement Date
You may renew your RPP permit in person or by mail. If you are renewing through the mail, please send your completed application before May 31st to receive your new permits for the next Parking Permit Year.
Enforcement of expired permits begins on July 1st.
Back to Top
Visitor Permits for guest use may be purchased by residents when renewing their annual RPP permit. If purchasing Visitor Permits at a later time, a picture identification, along with one of the following documents that includes the current address of the resident, must be provided (billing statements must be dated within the last 30 days):
- California Drivers License (DMV)
- Signed lease agreement (within a year)
- Current bank statement
- Current PG&E billing statement
- Current telephone bill (not cellular)
- Current major credit card billing statement
- AT&T cablevision bill
- EBMUD water bill
- Vehicle registration (DMV)
- City Bills (Refuse bills, Fire Alarm bills, Fire Inspections bills, etc)
The vehicle for which the visitor permit is being obtained must not have any outstanding Berkeley parking violations older than 21 days.
Pick up Visitor Parking Permits at the Customer Service Center or call (510) 981-7200 for further information.
1-Day Visitor Permits - $2.25
- Residents may purchase up to 20 1-Day Visitor Permits in a permit year.
- 1-Day Visitor Permits may be purchased by mail or in person, and can be purchased in advance.
- All 1-Day permits will expire on June 30th of the current permit year.
14-Day Visitor Permits - $23.00
- Residents may purchase 3 14-Day Visitor Permits in a permit year.
- Please note that 14-Day Visitor Permits are valid for 14 consecutive calendar days.
- 14-Day Visitor Permits may be purchased up to 3 weeks in advance of the initial usage date. The resident must provide the intended usage dates and the license plate number of the vehicle that will use the 14-Day Permit.
Back to Top
Annual RPP Permits - $45.00
In order to qualify for an annual Residential Preferential Parking, residents must present photo identification and the vehicle registration displaying their Berkeley address. Individuals subletting are not eligible for annual Residential Preferential Parking permit.
The vehicle for which the permit is being obtained must:
- Be registered in California, at the Berkeley address for which the permit is being obtained; and
- Must not have any outstanding Berkeley parking violations older than 21 days.
If the vehicle is registered to the Berkeley address, but is not registered in the name of the Berkeley resident, the resident must provide a copy of the registered owner’s valid picture ID, and a signed letter stating that the resident has the right to use the vehicle.
Pick up Annual Residential Preferential Parking permits at the Customer Service Center or call (510) 981-7200 for further information.
Back to Top
Residents or family members who live in any of the City's RPP-designated areas who have disabilities or medical conditions requiring In-home care services, may be eligible for In-Home Care Permits
Back to Top
Days/Hours of Enforcement
Hours of enforcement are 8:00am to 7:00pm except Sundays, holidays and during posted street sweeping days.
*Some areas within RPP Area E are enforced Monday through Friday; others are enforced Monday through Saturday. Please observe posted enforcement signs.
For additional information or questions, contact the Customer Service Center or call (510) 981-7200.
Back to Top