Zero Waste will be closed Thursday, Nov 26th, 2015 in Observance
of Thanksgiving Day. Collection for locations regularly scheduled on Thursday will occur on Friday, Nov 27th and locations regularly scheduled on Friday will occur on Saturday, Nov 28th (carts must be on the curb by 7:00 a.m.). Missed pickups can be reported online or by calling Customer Services at
510-981-7270 and must be reported no later than 5:00 p.m. Monday, Nov 30th.
Refuse: Collection Schedule & Services Information
If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at (510) 981-7270
There is NO City of Berkeley Collection Service for Refuse, Recycling or Plant Debris on these Holidays:
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- New Year’s Day
- Refuse, recycling and plant debris collection that is normally scheduled on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day will be collected on the next day of service. All other collections will take place on schedule, regardless of the holiday.
For closure dates of the City's Transfer Station (public dumping), please see the Transfer Station web page.
Refuse Administrative Offices, Customer Service counters and phone lines are closed on these Holidays:
For specific dates that holidays are observed during the current year, see: City of Berkeley Holiday and Reduced Service Days Schedule
City Refuse Service is provided once a week for every residence. We provide several container sizes: 20 gallon (when available), 32 gallon, 64 gallon and 96 gallon. Curbside service is mandatory.
Here are some tips:
- Carts must be at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your collection day.
- Refuse containers must be removed from the curb within 24 hours of being placed there for collection.
- Container lids must close completely. Extra garbage must be in special pre-paid green bags.
- Place only normal household garbage in the containers.
- Place only plant debris or food waste in plant debris carts. Please, no rocks or dirt or garbage.
The City of Berkeley offers monthly rental and service rates for roll-off containers and compactors.
Upon request, we provide dumpsters to residences and businesses for 4 days. Additional days may be requested for a charge of $17.50 per day, up to 2 days maximum duration.
If the container is stored on the street a permit is required. Please contact the Permit Service Center at (510) 981 - 7500 for permit info. If a permit is required, you will need to obtain the permit prior to scheduling for the roll-off dumpster.
Current rates are:
- 6 yard (dirt box) $538.00*
- 12 yard (12x7x4) $373.00
- 14 yard (12x7x4.5) $436.00
- 16 yard (12x8x4.5) $498.00
- 20 yard (16x8x4.5) $565.00
- 30 yard (22x8x5) $672.00
*This is the only size available for heavy material (ex: dirt, rocks or concrete) resulting in the proportionally higher charge.
Recycle clean wood, sheetrock, cardboard, garden trimmings, metals and reusable items. Contact Customer Service to find out how, and have more room in your dumpster for trash.
Missed pickups must be reported by 5:00 p.m. the next business day (Monday – Friday) following your regularly scheduled collection day by calling (510) 981-7270. Missed pickups of residential refuse reported beyond that time period will not be collected until the next regularly scheduled collection day for your location.
Refuse Crews are in the field until 2:30 p.m. If your container was not emptied by 2:30pm, please call Customer Service at (510) 981-7270 Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- For example, if your regular pick-up day is Monday and your container is not emptied as of 2:30 p.m. on Monday, you must report a missed pick-up by 5:00 p.m. Tuesday. If your regular pick-up day is Friday, you must report a missed pick-up by 5:00 p.m. the following Monday.
Extra Pick-up Bags
Residential customers who occasionally have extra refuse or plant debris, or did not report their missed pick-up, can purchase Prepaid Refuse or Prepaid Plant Debris Bags at the Customer Service Center or the Transfer Station.
- Prepaid Plant Debris Bags can also be purchased at any Berkeley Fire Station. The Fire Stations only accept checks (with ID) and are available for Plant Debris bag sales daily from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Prepaid Refuse Bags can be purchased at the Berkeley Public Library branches.
- For current prices of paid Refuse or Prepaid Plant Debris Bags, see the Transfer Station page.
- Only these specific City of Berkeley Prepaid Bags will be collected, as their rate includes service and processing. Prepaid Refuse or Plant Debris Bags must be at curb for service on next scheduled service day, and set-outs are limited to 10 per week.
Commercial customers may arrange for additional collections by calling Refuse Customer Service at (510) 981-7270.
Other Refuse Services
Elderly or physically disabled customers may apply for an exemption from curbside service. All residents of the household must meet the criteria to be eligible for curbside exemption. If granted, garbage will be collected from the yard. Customers granted an exemption must purchase their own refuse container. This special service is provided for 32 gallon and 45 gallon containers only.
Steam cleaning of commercial-sized metal containers is available upon request for a fee. Cost is determined by the size of the container. Contact Customer Service for cleaning rates of containers larger than 6.0 yards.
Capacity in Cubic Yards Steam Cleaning Rate