Other Services and Links Topic Listing
Exterior Elevated Elements Program (E3) - [more...]
Building Demolitions - Description:
It is the expectation of the City of Berkeley that all building demolitions will be carried out in a manner conducive to public safety. This includes the prevention of debris falling into the public right-of-way or onto adjoining properties, and prompt and proper disposal of all debris. Debris is not to be stored on adjoining properties or in the public right-of-way without prior written consent. [more...]
Engineering Permit Information - These services are now delivered at the Permit Service Center located at 2120 Milvia Street. [more...]
Frequently Asked Questions - Building and Inspections FAQ
Plans and Zoning FAQ
Boards and Commissions FAQ [more...]
Construction & Demolition Debris Diversion Requirements (BMC 19.24) - Building Permit applicants for the projects listed below are required to divert Construction and Demolition (C&D) waste and debris from landfill disposal in accordance with Construction & Demolition Debris Diversion Requirements (BMC 19.24) and the Berkeley Green Code (BMC 19.37). [more...]
How to Set Up a Gas Pressure Test -
1. Disconnect all gas appliances and the meter if it is still in place by disconnecting the flex line from the hard pipe. (Do not merely turn off the valve. The test will not hold and may ruin the valve.)
2. Put hard caps at all the ends of the hard pipe except one. (Use pipe joint compound.)
3. At the open end of the pipe, install the pressure gauge. If there is only a female fitting, you wall need to use a nipple. Use pipe joint compound. Make sure the gauge ends up on top, readily visible.
4. Attach a bicycle pump (or compressor) and pump gauge to a minimum of 10 lbs. of pressure. It must hold for a minimum of 15 minutes, without any perceptible drop in pressure.
5. If it does not hold, test all joints by brushing soapy water on them. Start with end caps and joints at pressure gauge.
6. When gauge holds for 15 minutes, call for inspection. (You must have a permit prior to the inspector coming to your location to inspect.)
7. The inspector will verify that the pressure is holding, tag the gas line, and Pacific Gas and Electric will be notified the next working day. The customer will also need to call PG&E at 1-800-743-5000 to request meter set/re-connection.
Information for Roofing Contractors - [more...]
Building Energy Saving Ordinance (BESO) - BESO replaced RECO/CECO
Effective December 1, 2015, Berkeley's Building Energy Saving Ordinance (BESO), Berkeley Municipal Code 19.81, replaced both the Residential and Commercial Energy Conservation Ordinances (RECO and CECO). BESO requires Berkeley building owners to complete energy efficiency opportunity assessments and publicly report the building's energy efficiency information with the goal of helping building owners save energy and motivating them to participate in whole-building energy efficiency programs, such as Energy Upgrade California. [more...]