Translation Disclaimer

City Clerk
City Clerk

U.S. Passport Information 

The City of Berkeley is authorized by the U.S. Department of State to accept U.S. passport applications. Applicants need to visit: 

Passport Office
City Clerk's office
2180 Milvia Street
Berkeley, CA  94704
(510) 981-6911

Hours for Passport Processing:
By appointment only.
Appointments are Monday through Friday: 8:30 am - 2:30 pm.
Acceptance Facility open 8:30am - 3:00pm.
Please call (510) 981-6908 to schedule an appointment.  

* Passport Office is closed the 2nd Friday of each month.

Applicants cannot file DS-82 Renewal Forms at
the Berkeley passport office - they must be mailed
directly to the processing center by the applicant.                                                                        

Payment Policy:The City Clerk Department accepts cash, checks/money orders, and credit/debit cards (MasterCard or Visa).  The City Clerk Department may not be able to give change for bills of $20 or greater.   Please note that the City Clerk Department accepts EXACT CHANGE ONLY after 4:30 p.m. 

What do I need?

1. Two separate forms of payment:   

  • Check or Money Order made out to "Department of State" for passport fees. 
  • Cash, credit/debit card (MasterCard or Visa), or check made out to the "City of Berkeley" for execution fee and photo if needed.

2. One (2x2) Color Passport picture 
You may have your photo taken at the City Clerk's office for $10.00.

3. Adults need picture ID such as DMV driver license or DMV issued ID card

4. Social Security Number of the applicant

5. Birth Certificate

  • An adult, with an old passport as your proof of Citizenship, you bring your old passport, no birth certificate required.
  • A child 15 and under, and has an old passport, both the passport and birth certificate are required and both parents must be present with the child.
  • A child renewing 16 years old or older, only the old passport is required unless lost, then a birth certificate is needed and only one parent needs to be present with the child.

Where to apply if you need a birth certificate:

Born in California (Except Birth Certificates for the City of Berkeley, CA)

For Berkeley: 1947 Center Street, Berkeley, CA 94704. Telephone: (510) 981-5320.

Born outside California 

6. Appropriate Passport Application (Read carefully and select from the following)

  • Application (State Department Form DS-11):
  • Application (State Department Form DS-82 Renewal Form):
    • You have a CURRENT or EXPIRED LESS THAN 5 YEARS, use Form DS-82 Application. If you can answer yes to the questions on the front of the DS-82, you must mail the application and documents directly to the address at the bottom of page 2. Applicants cannot file DS-82 Renewal Forms at Acceptance Facilities - they must be mailed directly to the processing center by the applicant. The full instructions are on page two of the multi-part form.

  • Application (State Department Form DS-11):
    (Also see #5 Birth Certificate and old passport requirement above)
    • Applying for a child 15 and under:
      BOTH PARENTS ARE US CITIZENS, use Form DS-11 Application
      One or more PARENT IS NOT A US CITIZEN, use Form DS-11 and bring non-citizen parent’s Green Card or passport with Visa

    • Applying for a child 16-17: 
      BOTH PARENTS ARE US CITIZENS, use Form DS-11 Application 

      One or more PARENTS IS NOT A US CITIZEN, use Form DS-11 and bring non-citizen parent’s Green Card or passport with Visa. 


Additional travel information can be found on the U.S. Department of State website


Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
City Clerk, 2180 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-6900
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903