Section 8 Available Unit Listings
March 16, 2017
Important Information - please read
1. If you are interested in renting the unit, you are encouraged to visit the site at different times of the week, and different times of the day and night to get a true feel for the neighborhood.
2.The listing of units on this website shall in no way exempt any owner or potential tenant from the need to schedule and pass a Housing Quality Standards inspection prior to approval of the unit for occupancy by a Section 8 recipient. The Berkeley Housing Authority (BHA) HAS NOT inspected or pre-approved the units listed on this site for compliance with Section 8 rules. NOTE: The unit may not be "affordable" to you if it requires you to pay more than 40% of your income for rent. Sometimes this is a problem for families on fixed incomes.
3. The amount of rent listed is the amount requested by the landlord. The actual amount of rent the BHA will authorize must be reasonable for the unit as determined by BHA in accordance with federal law . The rental amount cannot be determined until after the unit passes an Housing Quality Standards inspection and the appropriate tenant utility allowance is determined .
4. The security deposit listed is the amount requested by the owner. If payment of the security deposit is a financial obstacle to you, you may either be able to negotiate with the owner to allow you to pay the security deposit over a series of months or contact one of the following agencies for assistance:
- Eden Information and Referral. If calling from within Alameda County you may dial 211 or call (510) 537-2710
- Catholic Charities (510) 768-3100
- Seasons of Sharing (510) 272-3700
- Operation Dignity (510) 844-0785
Nan McKay also provides a free listing/search service. Click on the link below to search: